Monday, June 22, 2009

Our Fathers Day Weekend.....

OK, I didn't get a tribute in time for Fathers Day so I will just a few things here. First of all Denver is a wonderful father to our children. He loves them so much and does everything he can for them. I am thankful for the love and devotion that he shows to them and for putting them first.

Second, my own dad.....I love him so much and wish that we could live closer to him. He is always there to offer support and advice and he is a wonderful Grandpa to my kids, love you Dad. Last, but certainly not least is my father in law Don who is missed every day. This man loved everything about family and was happiest when everyone was around him. He has left a big hole in our hearts and we look forward to seeing him again one day.

Now, for Fathers Day this year Denver's wish was to go fishing in Idaho. He wanted to go back to a private pond that he had fished at earlier this year. We got permission and that was that. We left Saturday morning and traveled 3 hours to Twin Falls, Idaho. The pond was another 20 minutes or so outside of Twin Falls in a little town called Hagerman. The whole drive up there it rained and rained and I thought for sure we were going to have to wait to fish on Sunday. However, once we got to the pond it had stopped and we didn't get rained on! What we did do was catch a whole lotta fish! I had forgotten how much fun it is to actually catch fish! The boys had so much fun. This was their first experience catching their own fish and they were beside themselves.....All 3 of the boys were a little timid at first with touching the fish or holding them. By the end of the day Alec was unhooking his own fish like a pro. Ian and Evan....still a little timid but did agree to at least touch the fish! We fished for about 3 hours and probably caught about 50 fish between us all.

We finally left and headed back to Twin Falls to check into our hotel and grab lunch. I have to say that my experience with Idaho up until this weekend had been limited to Preston, Idaho and the quick drive thru we made in college on our way to Jackson Hole. I must say I have gained a new appreciation for this state. It is absolutely beautiful. We stopped at the Snake River Gorge visitor center and took some great pictures. We even were able to witness 3 men "base jump" off of the Perrine bridge that crosses the gorge. Scary stuff but very cool....I got video of it that I posted at the bottom of the post. After the gorge, we made our way to Shoshone Falls.....the "Niagara Falls of the West". Amazingly beautiful...pictures don't do it justice! As we were coming into Twin Falls, I noticed a huge white church in the distance. I told Denver to look at it because it almost looked like an LDS Temple....by accident, on the way back from the falls, we stumbled upon the building and lo and behold, it was indeed an LDS Temple. Who knew!? I didn't realize they had one in Twin Falls. The grounds were closed for maintenance unfortunately so I just took a picture of the outside front. It was really pretty.



We also realized why they call it Twin Falls, everywhere we looked there were waterfalls coming out of the walls of the gorge. It was so beautiful.....




We went back to the hotel so the kids could swim. Actually all of us swam despite the chilly water temperature. It seems to me that Idaho ought to have heated pools....I'm just sayin. After dinner we called it a day and slept, rather uncomfortably in our queen sized hotel bed. I have come to really appreciate my comfy California king sized bed!! Sunday we checked out and were supposed to go on home but decided to head back to the pond for a little more fishing. It was so much fun and this time we kept about 15 fish....we caught another 50 fish and ended up staying a lot longer than planned. If a huge windy storm had not blown in, we might just still be there! It was a really fun weekend and I would love to go back and see more. I think Denver really enjoyed his Fathers Day weekend and the boys have certainly gained a new love for fishing...... Hope you all had a wonderful Fathers Day too! Here is our slideshow of pictures and below that are 2 videos to watch!!
Here is Evan catching his first fish of the day......





Here is video of one of the crazy jumpers!!!



4 comments:

Alisha said...

Yeah, fishing is definitely a lot more fun when you catch fish...espeically for kids. I'm glad that you all had a great weekend!

Mountain Blossom said...

What a nice Fathers Day weekend! Especially for boys. (fishing) your nice to do that.

Mountain Blossom said...

Sorry I did not realize I was signed in for the other blog I do for a business. It's me your cuz, LoraLeigh.

Turleygirl said...

It looks absolutely beautiful - makes me want to go there someday.