Friday, April 24, 2009

My Green Thumb....


Okay, I have to admit that Im not much of a "gardener"....in fact, other than a plant that a boyfriend left me to take care while he spent the summer at home from BYU, I have killed just about every other plant that I have come into contact with. On our recent trip to Kentucky, I picked up some seeds for THE BEST green beans that I have ever eaten. It may sound like I am exaggerating but honestly....these really are that good. They are called White Half Runners and you cannot get them out here. I researched them to see if perhaps they could not grow in this climate and thats why you couldnt find them but I found that there is no reason they couldnt grow here. So, I am about to embark on my first official gardening experience. I have read and read about how to plant these and grow these and it seems that beans are one of the easiest and most forgiving vegetables to grow. Perfect for my first time.... Since we rent this house and cant dig up a garden in the backyard, we have opted for a "raised bed" garden. We are going to plant a tomato plant and maybe some peppers and the green beans. If it is successful, then next year we are going to expand! Thanks to my Mother-in-law, I found this website about "box gardens"
and it seems to be a pretty simple process. This guy seems to have a handle on it so I hope I can be successful too! I will let you know. By the way, if you live near me, I brought back a whole pound of these seeds and dont need all of them so if you want to try growing some really yummy beans, stop by and pick some up! I mean it when I say you have never had a green bean that is so flavorful. I could eat them with some potatoes and nothing else.....yum!

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Good luck! I can kill anything that I plant, without even trying.

pete/chris whipple said...

Those beans sound good. Good Luck with your gardening endeavor! I bet you will do great with grow boxes.. we always have Or I should say (Pete) has!!!!