Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gardens and Discoveries....


Well we did it! We finally finished our little box today. I know you are probably already sick of hearing about our "box" but...oh well, we are excited. The kids all helped us plant a few seeds, with the exception of Ian who was at a friends and was quite angry with us for not waiting for him. I reassured him that he can plant the tomato's next week....we wanted to wait another week to make sure there were no more frosts. Anyway....Im really excited to see the little veggies grow! Im sure I will take more unecessary pictures of this project as it progresses....it is a first for me. In this last picture you can see that we placed the box by our little peach tree and our grape vines.....it seemed an appropriate place.

In other news....I just got back from my evening run/walk. Ive started going in the morning at 6am and in the evening at 9pm. I figure a double dose cant hurt...as long as I am careful to take it slow this time. Anyway, I discovered something tonight...actually I noticed it this morning but thought maybe it was just the moment and not permanent. However, tonight I realized that I quite enjoy running without music! It sounds like such a lame thing to be excited about but if you know me then you know how much music helps me exercise. In fact....I would actually get to the gym sometimes and realize I had forgotten my ipod and turn around and either go back home to get it or just go back home. I would experience anxiety over the thought of not having my music. I used to be this way about having water too...the first few months when I started running last year, I would lug my water bottle with me each and every time and drink like a fish the whole time I ran.... I breathe through my mouth so it gets dry really fast and Im nervous about running in the first place so I would get cotton mouth so quick. One day, I didnt have it and realized that I didnt need it! It was very liberating to go out without water after that realization....now I can add music to that freedom. It was so nice today just hearing everything around me....listening to my own breathing....the wind and the birds. It was strangely relaxing! Im so happy to know that I dont need those crutches to get out and run :) After 3 days of this, I am already feeling stronger. I guess I'm not completely starting over. My body is responding as though it remembers this torture from last Fall. This is a good thing....Im hoping to run a 5k with a friend next month.

4 comments:

Alisha said...

The box looks very official...I'm excited for you. I still like my music, but good for you on being able to go without.

pete/chris whipple said...

Vanessa and company and their little farm! What a cute post and cute place for your box!

Turleygirl said...

Yea for you! Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to me.

Amy @ OurScoop said...

I'm so Jealous! I've always wanted to plant a small garden! Love this idea! I wish Kevin would jump on board and help me with a project like this. He's handy. Fresh tomato's and zucchini sound so yummy! Which seeds did you plant?
I'm glad you liked the cookies! I'll have to try butterscotch chips. That sounded so good!