Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekend Enjoyment.....

We had a great weekend. I always think it would be so great to have perfect weather all year long but then of course I realize that without bad weather, I would not appreciate the beautiful spring/summer temperatures we have had this week. So, for that and the love of the first big snow storm, I am grateful for Winter. Friday evening we took the kids downtown to the Living Traditions Festival. We have never been but due to Denvers Economics teacher having a booth there we thought we would go down there and support him. It turned out to be a really cool thing. They had 3 stages with performers from different cultures dancing, singing, or playing music. This is a picture of some Korean Dancers that performed....

There were different booths set up displaying crafts from different cultures such as Tongan wood carvers, Navajo basket weavers and all sorts of other cool stuff. It was really amazing watching this Tongan man sit on the ground and carve a Tiki out of a log... This is a picture of a Japanese gentleman teaching Japanese calligraphy....

They also had numerous stands selling all kinds of ethnic food. The smell was unbelieveable. Laotian food, Hawaiin, Mexican, Russian....you name it, they had it. Here is a picture of the Laotian ladies.....

We played it safe and ate some Teriyaki Beef sticks from Hawaii. Unfortunately we came unprepared for the chilly night air and had to leave sooner than we wanted. The kids were freezing..... Had we known ahead of time how cool this festival was, we would have made sure we could stay. Next year it will be a must do on our fun list..... The best part about it was that there was no entrance fee. Free entertainment is always good.

Saturday, Denver spent the day fishing in Idaho. Funny story.....I got a friend request from my 2nd cousin on my Dad's side. He is from Florida and I think I have only met him once...although I cant really remember it. He lives in Boise now and was talking about fishing and so I mentioned that my husband likes to fish. Long story short, Denver drove 3 hours to Idaho to fish with my cousin and his son. According to Denver, he caught 100 fish. The boys are skeptical...this could be due to the fact that every time Denver has taken them fishing it has been a bust. I guess we will have to make another trip up there and see if his story is on the up and up.... :)

Sunday, Nate and Alisa kept the kids for us so we could go and see the movie "Angels and Demons". I have been waiting for this movie for a long time. I LOVED this book and although I know that movies never compare to the books, I still enjoy watching them. This movie did not disappoint, although the beginning was different than the book. This was a little irritating at first, but about 20 minutes into the movie I forgave them because they followed the book correctly for most of the remaining movie....notice I said "most". Ah well....its Hollywood, what can you do?
Sunday evening, after the kids were put to bed, we rented and watched the movie "Taken"....this was another great movie. Very intense and frightening at times. I love movies and could watch one every night if time permitted.

Hope you all had a great weekend....it is supposed to be 90 degrees today. Time to turn on the AC!!

1 comment:

pete/chris whipple said...

That had to be Wade?? How funny and great! That event you went to sounds amazing and very entertaining! Would also love to go.. the food would be very tempting to try..:)