Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Risk....

Last night I went to a semi-private voice lesson with my 8th grade choir teacher and current choir director. I didnt sign up because I think Im a great singer nor do I think she can make me a great singer. I just want to learn how to sing better. So, the session went great and I learned some good tools to help me. There were just 5 women in there with me so it was nice that I wasnt singing completely alone and yet I still felt like I was getting personal attention. I enjoyed it and signed up to take her level 2 class next month.

My mom made the comment that she couldnt believe I would dare sing in front of someone by myself like that....she didnt think she could ever do it. While I was there I noticed a large quotation on the wall that struck me because it answers her comment as to why a person might put themselves out there like that. And, because I am sort of collecting good thoughts that I come across, I decided I would post it here. It kind of goes along with the Sir Francis Drake quotation that I posted a couple of days ago......

To laugh is to risk appearing a fool,
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach out to another is to risk involvement,
To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self.
To place your ideas and dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To live is to risk dying,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live.
Chained by his servitude he is a slave who has forfeited all freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.
The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
And the realist adjusts the sails."


- William Arthur Ward

No comments: