Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day in Vegas.....

It's always nice to come home, but we did have a great weekend in Vegas. We left early Saturday morning....like 2:30 am early....right after I got home from work. Why did we leave at such a time you ask? Well, Denver wanted to stop at Sand Hollow reservoir on our way for a little fishing. We have done this before in spite of how crazy people think we are. We arrived right as the sun was coming up and it was sooooo beautiful. Sand Hollow is right outside of Hurricane and it looks like a miniature Lake Powell...not quite as Grand, but really pretty. One thing that I just love about Southern Utah is the contrast in color. It really is a beautiful desert. Blue sky, Red rocks, green foliage....and of course the blue water. It was very peaceful and Denver was even able to catch a few Bass...he was very happy. The kids really enjoyed playing on the rocks and on the red sand beach... it was worth it to stop there and relax a little. I'd live there if it were possible.

So, then we were off for the rest of the trip to Las Vegas...only about 2 more hours away. We got there early enough to have the entire day to spend...another reason why we like to leave so early in the morning. My mom was ready and waiting to take me to see the movie "Mama Mia". She had me all prepared the week before by sending me the Abba CD by which the story is created around. It really is crazy to think that someone took this CD of music and literally created a story from the songs. I had heard very little about the movie itself and was so pleasantly THRILLED with it. It was a lot of fun....so much that that we went back to see the "sing along" version the next day! Yes, it was the movie with the words to the songs on the bottom of the screen to encourage the audience to "sing along"....Unfortunately we had a timid audience so it wasnt what I had hoped for but it was still fun to see it again, and I sang along anyway! If you havent seen the movie and you like funny musicals, then I suggest seeing it, if its still playing in your area! Meryl Streep was incredible. I was very impressed.

The rest of the weekend was spent eating and lounging in the pool. The kids practically lived in the swimming pool. Denver and my dad were supposed to golf on Monday and when they showed up bright and early for their tee time, the golf course told them they didnt have a tee time reserved! Somehow their reservation was lost and in Las Vegas, if you dont have a tee time, you dont golf. It ended being OK though because not too long after they got there, the wind kicked up so strong that it would have been miserable golfing in it anyway....

Denver cooked fabulous meals all weekend....we have an ongoing deal with my parents which is 'they buy the food, Denver cooks it'..... My mom and I sat down and went through all her old pictures so I could take some home to scan. We had a ball laughing at ourselves and others! I enjoyed finding pictures of my parents when they were the age that I am now....kinda weird too. I really enjoyed the walk down memory lane.

So, we are home now and back to the grind. In fact Denver is already at school and Ian is getting ready to start his homework for tomorrow. Its always nice to get home but as reality sets back in, I find myself wishing I was still gone.....:) Thanks to Mom and Dad for a great weekend. Cant wait to see you again!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

What a fun trip! It is so nice to get away and it sounds like you guys had a great time. You are a nice wife to leave in the middle of the night to let your hubby go fishing. :)

Alisha said...

Sounds like a great trip! The week after a long weekend is always so hard...thank goodness it is a shortened week!

pete/chris whipple said...

What a fun trip...and driving and fishing all night!! what a woman!
thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!