Sunday, May 4, 2008

Another thought....

Did anyone watch the Kentucky Derby yesterday? Is anyone else as upset as I am over the fate of Eight Belles....the 2nd place horse? It has made me physically ill and I cannot stop thinking about it. I even had a dream about it last night (this morning tecnically). Denver is wanting me to be more rational about it considering the horse was bred to race but I just find it so brutal and unfair. I know that those horses are WELL taken care of.....but it still doesnt feel right. Obviously if both of her ankles broke, she shouldnt have been racing. She was a 3 year old Filly and from what I have been reading her bones were still technically developing so the stress of this "great race" literally killed her. They euthanized the poor horse right there on the track! She fell right after she crossed the finish line. She completed her task and then collapsed. Ugh. Well, I dont want to open a can of worms but I dont feel good about horse racing as a sport. Money always becomes the motivator for men, who then in turn push their animals to perform. Yeah, its not dog fighting, or cock fighting, but it is still making animals work hard so that men can get paid. I dont know...... sad stuff.

1 comment:

Alisha said...

I agree that the whole situation was very sad and I'm not even an animal lover. But think about how often it must happen where it isn't reported in the news.