Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day....

The other day, Ian announced that he had some homework in which I was expected to participate. He was supposed to write a short paragraph on Memorial Day and it's history, meaning, etc. My part was to then "discuss" the day with him interview style. Ian asks me a question, I answer, he writes its down. I'm not sure if it's because I am getting old and sappy or if it is because I served in the military but it seems that I cant speak about anything military related without getting a big lump in my throat. It means something...serving the country that you live in. Even if you are fortunate enough, as I was, to avoid actually going to war it still means something. It certainly left an impression on me. Even though the tradition of Memorial Day has grown to incorporate remembering all of our friends and family who have passed on, honoring those that passed during service to our country is the reason this holiday exists. My Grandpa served in WWII, in the Air Force (Army Air Corp) and just recently passed away. He is buried in Arizona so I can't take him any flowers but I am sure thinking about him today....

(thanks Aunt Chrissy for sending pictures)

I have been fortunate not to have lost very many loved ones in my life. I only recently lost 3 of my Grandparents, both of my mom's parents and my dad's father. Also, my father-in-law Don passed 2 years ago. All of them are buried in other states so I can't visit their grave sites but they are definitely in my thoughts today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'm going to take Zoom to a cemetary today to see all the flags in the veteran sections. I tried to explain what memorial day was to him and got all chocked up talking about freedom and liberty and the brave soldiers. I believe gravesites are sacred no matter what peoples beliefs are. Thanks for the reminder :)

pete/chris whipple said...

Beautiful post