Friday, December 12, 2008

Ring, Christmas Bells......

I received a real treat last night when I was able to attend the Mormon Tabernacle Choirs' Christmas concert. This concert is so difficult to get tickets for that I dont even bother trying. I have an aunt and an uncle who both sing in the choir but they are only given enough tickets for their immediate families and sometimes it isnt even enough for that. So.....when my aunt called me the other to offer me one of the tickets she received, well, she didnt have to twist my arm! Big thanks to Angela (my cousin) for giving up her ticket to me! This years guests (they always have special guests) were Brian Stokes Mitchell and Edward Herrmann. There was some speculation that maybe this year they got Josh Groban as the guest but unfortunately that didnt happen.....Im still hoping for that..... A month ago when I saw who the guests were going to be, I wondered if it would be that good. I didnt know who Brian Stokes Mitchell was and Edward Hermann will always be the guy from The Lost Boys.....(awesome 80's vampire movie) so I wasnt sure what he was going to add to the event. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised. Mr. Mitchell was very good.....very broadway....but very good. He has a really beautiful voice with a huge range and I enjoyed some of his songs quite a bit. Of course I was left wishing for a few more choir pieces but maybe I am biased :) I have to say the highlight for me was the reading that Edward Hermann gave. He told a story about a family who suffered a lot of loss during the civil war era and how they managed to still have hope at Christmas. The orchestra played in the background as he told the story and he told it with so much feeling that I may have believed it to be a true story about him.....I think he even was crying at one point. Very moving. I loved it. He also told the story of Christ's birth from Luke at the end which was awesome. They had dancers and bell ringers and it was a really beautiful concert. We had great seats too thanks to Grandma and her wheelchair. I can never get enough of the choir though and wished there had been a couple more pieces by them.

Not much else going on over here. Just seems that I have no time and yet I cant figure out why. Its this time of year I think. My lack of posting shows that I have been preoccupied with other things. I'll work on it......

2 comments:

Wyatts said...

Lucky! Glad it was you.

Turleygirl said...

You are lucky to live so close, I envy that. Sounds wonderful. We are planning on coming to Utah after Christmas. I will let you know. We will have to come by.