Tuesday, August 9, 2011


Sorry for the lack of pictures on this post. This is more of an informational post :)

A few months ago, I was told by my doctor that I would have to have a partial hysterectomy due to the fact that my uterus was prolapsing....falling out. Also prolapsing was my bladder -- so that's why I couldn't laugh or cough without peeing -- At first, when he told me this, I was fine. No big deal right? No more birth control, no more monthly cycles....and I get to keep the ovaries so NO HORMONES! Win win. Oddly enough, a few weeks later, I went through this weird, albeit short, mourning moment. Like "wow...I really cant have anymore babies" (as if I actually wanted more...NOT). I felt like I was going to be less of a woman or something. It was weird and thankfully short lived and replaced by extreme anxiety over the surgery itself.

A few weeks before the surgery, I went to see my endocrinologist to get my annual thyroid tests done. I had been feeling extremely tired every day in the afternoon to the point where just the thought of getting off the couch made me want to cry. I was even nervous driving....falling asleep at stop lights is never a good sign. The results of the tests were inconclusive really but she decided to put me on thyroid medication anyway....a small dose...just to see if it would help. So far, I think it is helping. That afternoon fatigue seems to have gone away significantly.

Unfortunately one of the tests that measures blood protein and is a good indicator of future heart trouble came back super high. She was concerned enough that she put me on Lipitor to help bring the number down. What that test did for me though was send me into a tailspin of anxiety over the upcoming surgery. Considering my family heart history, this was not good news. Also one of the nodules that I have growing on my thyroid grew large enough over the past year that they want to do a biopsy on it. Talk about everything hitting me at once. Welcome to the 40's I guess....

To make this long health saga short(er), the week before my surgery was spent doing more tests and more tests to make sure my heart was OK. Turns out it is just fine. No signs of anything that would cause problems. I did reschedule the thyroid biopsy however, because I simply had no time to get it done and it was lower on the priority list at the time.

August 3rd came and I had the hysterectomy and bladder repair. (picture of my liquid meal after surgery...haha) Surgery went great and I spent a night and day in the hospital. I've been home for 4 days now and am doing well...still a little sore of course but on the mend! The kids have been great to wait on me and help me out around the house. (secretly I think they are really ready to have their old mom back though)

School starts in a few weeks and I think we are all ready for it! It has been a nice summer but due to me being in school we haven't been able to do much and the kids are kinda going stir crazy. It will be nice to be back on a schedule. I only have 3 semesters left until I graduate! Its feeling so close now....I can hardly wait!


Alisha said...

Glad that surgery went well...it's always scary having tests done, but it sounds like everything has turned out all right.

pete/chris whipple said...

I did not know about this. I hope you are doing better everyday. Did your mom come and help out? MUCH love to you and yours! You are so lucky to have 3 healthy children.