Friday, March 30, 2012

Spring Happenings....

Flowers Blooming on campus at The University of Utah

Spring looks to have officially arrived here in the valley.  We have all been so skeptical because Utah weather is unpredictable this time of year.  However, after an extremely odd winter...very little snow... it seems like Mother Nature has just decided to give us all a break and actually allow us to experience a true Spring!!  Of course, I don't doubt that I will be complaining about a couple of more snow storms during the month of May, but happily they won't stick around for any length of time.  I just hope it stays away on my graduation day.  The pictures above and below were taken today on the University of Utah campus.  I had to go turn in a test to the English Department and Addison joined me, begging me to take a picture of her amongst the beautiful flowering bush of which I have no clue what its name is - Personally I think the little girl is prettier but the yellow certainly adds a nice punch of color!

Beautiful Addison

A couple of weeks ago we headed to Tooele for a sleepover at my best friend Shannon's house.  Shannon and I have been friends since we were 5 years old!  We lost touch just after high school but 20 years later,thanks to Facebook, we reconnected and picked up where we left off.  It truly feels like no time has passed between our last connection and now.  It is so awesome having someone who you know without a doubt doesn't judge you and loves you for all your quirks and craziness.  That is Shan.  Anyway, our kids happen to get along famously as well which is an added bonus!  Hannah and Addison are like 2 peas in a pod despite a 4 year age gap and the boys are completely enamored by her son Jorden who is 17.  They think he is sooo cool ;)  We have so much fun whenever we go stay with them.  Her husband works out of town frequently and it is nice to help keep her company because I win too!  She always has fun things in store for the kids when they come.  One weekend we made T-shirts, and on this most recent visit she created the most amazing ice cream sundae bar EVER.  My kids were dumbfounded.  They call Shan "Aunt Lovey" and she spoils them.  We love her and her family.  Here are the boys with some of their sundae creations.  Yes, Ian managed to eat that entire bowl full of junk!!

Ian, Evan & Jorden
Mmmm, Ice Cream

As much as I hate this picture of me, I love it of the two of us :)

Me & Shan
Addie and Hannah put swimsuits on and got in Shan's big bath tub, along with colored bath paints!!

Addison & Hannah

And this is me after I completely chopped my hair off.   Felt sooo good!! I take a swimming class and it is such a pain having to shower and dry and style my hair everyday.  I thought this might be easier and I was right!  I have lost about 20 lbs at this point...and of course I plan on continuing to lose another 60.

My new hair cut

This month Evan was awarded his Webelo badge.  He wasn't so thrilled about having his picture taken but he was pretty excited to get that badge.  After June I will no longer have any Cub Scouts....next it's Boy Scouts!

Another picture Mom???

 And finally, a couple of nights ago we attended the performance of Ian's 5th grade along with 5th graders from other Salt Lake schools.  Ballet West has a program where they work with schools teaching children to dance in hopes that they will be motivated to stay in school.  Ian sure had a lot of fun doing this and we had fun watching!

Ian Shaking his Booty to the Batdance by Prince

Here is Ian with one of his classmates who is moving to Ohio this week.  Ian came home bawling today over it.  He has been in the same class with all of the same children since Kindergarten.  That is one of the wonderful things about the gifted program that he is part of.  He has made tight friendships with these kids.  My heart hurts for him because I know how hard it is to lose friends at his age.


Collin & Ian

But, even worse than the boy above moving is Gabe, pictured below.  Gabe and Ian have a really close friendship even outside of class.  Gabe's mom is in Medical school here at the University of Utah and they also live here in student family housing with us.  This has enabled Ian and Gabe to really form a bond.  Gabe's mom received her "orders" for her plastic surgery residency and although they were hoping to match with the University of Utah, they are being sent to Galveston, Texas.  That was a hard day for Ian and I dread the day in June when Gabe and his family actually leave.  It's going to be a tough one.  We love their family and will miss them dearly.  Guess we might have to make a visit to Texas!!

Gabe & Ian

1 comment:

Alisha said...

Your kids continue to grow up! Wow! Enjoy the spring weather.